Monday, April 23, 2012

21DayDetox: A Cook's Cleanse


Once again I am in the middle of the 21DayDetox and just finished week #1. I will not be progressing to the week 2 plan until next week because I have an away tournament with my team this weekend which complicates things. Plus, I think I overbought things needed for week #1 and my fridge is still stocked!

However, I did want to reflect on some lessons learned from previous cleanses which have allowed the transition from normal eating habits to week #1 of the process to be less painful and abrasive.

Dr. Greens daily dietary supplement
Now, I am not a regular coffee drinker but will enlist its uses occasionally on a down day when I need a pick-me-up from time to time. This time around, I gave up caffeine the week leading up to Day 1. I have never drank very much soda so there was no major change in that department and alcohol never had lasting effects where it was hard to give up as the program started. I did start eating vegetarian about a week before the start and that has helped with my meat cravings.

I have really begun to enjoy the challenge of eating/living vegan- much more so now that I can cook much better than in previous years. In fact, I am now considering going mostly vegan on a regular basis! This is not due to a change in morals or animal ethics but rather, it is a delight to surprise people with delicious dishes that are “unconventional” in their eyes but somehow still sustain their stomachs and tickle their pallets. cravings.

Homemade Hummus w/veggies and
an awesome brown rice & tofu dish
Recently, I have been spending hours searching the internet for appealing vegan meals that are a little more gourmet than those listed in my 21daydetox manual. I find it has been extremely important to find challenges for myself outside of work since I have stopped competing at a high level on the soccer fields. People call me crazy when I describe the program to them but it truly excites me. As I mature, I continually seek out any opportunity to be something different.

Reflecting on my first time through the program, I remember joining in on the detoxing with a group of coworkers at Photon Consulting in Boston. A colleague of mine got us all hooked because his sister detoxes with the 21daydetox system four times a year! I joined in to be a part of the “team” and working within the renewable energy industry had sparked my interest in all things “green.”

I had never really tried to cook anything more than the basics and was spending too much money sampling the wonderful eateries around Beantown. It was the 21daydetox that challenged me to cook my own meals. This is when I discovered the gratification in cooking feeling more self-sustainable.

The next few weeks were a very tough time for me as I was eventually forced out of my dream city and had to find a place to start from scratch. I spent the next few weeks searching for a job in the city with no success. Eventually, I had to pack up and head back south where I had some employment opportunities lined up that could potentially lead to something full time. “Underemployment” allowed me the free time to test my newfound culinary competences. In true hindsight, I do think that it was one of the best things to ever happen to me.

Hummus & Veggie wrap w/croutons.
Multiple textures helps satisfy!
From those depressing, dark days of self-pity and anger about my work situation (and recent breakup with longtime best/girlfriend) emerged a passion for gastronomy. Perhaps it is a primal appeal, although in more modern setting, I “forage” through a stores and farmers markets seeking inspiration, ingredients and ideas to experiment with to produce a well-balanced, wholesome meal. (I was also hitting the gym twice a day to try and hit lofty fitness goals.)

I suppose it makes sense that this new-found fascination was forged in a crucible of pain and misery because the end product provides an enriched emotional, nutritional and psychological experience. All in all, it increased independence and made me feel as if it was ok to be alone as long as I was able eat.

Today, the process of cooking certainly clears my mind. I value that so much as I am engulfed in a job which isn’t a job at all-it’s a lifestyle. Perhaps the toughest challenge of my new role is stopping soccer thoughts. I take refuge in the fast that my gastronomic activities allow me to be present in the moment and focus on solely the task at hand. Each meal I carefully combine fixings for a dish that has been wrought with the influences of today’s events and attitudes, but the aromas and flavors of said nourishment remain pure and untainted.

This is my escape.


Bon Appétit!



Follow @21_Day_Detox for more meals & pictures


No comments: